What’s the Difference Between Supportive Living & Assisted Living?
Most of us are familiar with the “big three” of senior living communities: Independent Living, Assisted Living and Skilled Nursing. At a high level, here are the differences between each type of community:
- Independent Living residents are self-directed, manage activities of daily living, maintain their own mobility, exhibit good grooming/bathing habits, and seek help as needed. Additionally, they demonstrate good judgment in order to assure the safety of themselves and others.
- Assisted Living residents are mainly independent, mobile and live in their own apartment but require help with their activities of daily living (meals, medication management, bathing, dressing, transportation, etc.) and provision for any medical needs.
- Skilled Nursing residents require 24/7 care in the short-term (such as rehabilitation) or long-term due to a chronic medical condition.
What is Supportive Living?
Of course, not everyone who can benefit from a senior living community is going to necessarily fit into one of those areas. For the person who isn’t a fit for assisted living but still needs some assistance in order to maintain their independence, Life Plan Communities like Luther Manor offer Supportive Living.
Supportive living services and assistance is provided to those living independently as part of a residential care apartment complex (RCAC). Supportive living services staff are available 24/7 and provide daily reassurance checks.
Additional Characteristics of Supportive Living
- Services are state regulated
- Plans are individualized with input from health professionals
- Plans can be adjusted
- Plans can be on-going or as short as one month
Examples of Supportive Living Services
- Medication management
- Assistance with other medical needs
- Assistance with bathing, dressing, grooming
- Laundry assistance
- Light meal preparation
Learn More About Supportive Living at Luther Manor
Luther Manor is a Life Plan Community committed to sharing God’s love by enriching the lives of older adults. With locations in Wauwatosa and Mequon, we offer individualized care designed to help your loved one live confidently and as independently as possible. Explore our website for more information, or view our testimonials to see what other people are saying.