The journey to becoming Luther Manor began in the fall of 1956, when Rev. William B. Downey, pastor of Fox Point Lutheran Church, appointed a committee to study the needs of older adults and how to best meet them.
The recommendation that emerged was to build a 65-person facility to serve the aging population of the greater Milwaukee area. From this recommendation was borne the United Lutheran Program for the Aging (ULPA), a nonprofit, faith-based organization advocating for the needs of older adults of all faiths.
After several years of planning, the ULPA purchased an expansive site in a park-like setting in Wauwatosa and construction began on a 97-bed residential retirement community. Today, that community, Luther Manor, is regarded as one of the finest senior living establishments in southeastern Wisconsin.
While our campus has grown and changed over the years, along with the needs of those we serve, Luther Manor’s mission remains the same: to share God’s love by enriching the lives of older adults.