Trusted & Chosen by People You Know for 60 Years & Counting
60 years of sharing God’s love by enriching the lives of older adults – that’s something worth celebrating! 60 years of being counted on to provide quality care. 60 years of strength and stability for all who trust us to care. For residents, we’ve been a forever home. For family and friends, we’ve been a lifeline. For staff, we’ve been the bedrock of a meaningful career. 60 years means we haven’t forgotten who we are and that we’re as excited as ever for who we’ll become.
What began as the seed of an idea from local congregations has grown into an expansive Life Plan Community in Wauwatosa and an Assisted Living community in Mequon. Just ask around. Everyone knows someone that Luther Manor has been important to. That says something. It says that generations have chosen and trusted us to care for them and their loved ones. It says that you can trust us, too – for the next 60 years and counting.
What Happened in 1961?
- President Kennedy establishes Peace Corps
- Soviets builds a wall dividing East and West Berlin
- Soviet space probe Venera 1 becomes the first man-made vehicle to reach another planet when it arrives at Venus
- First lasers developed
- New York Yankees win the World Series over Cincinnati, 4 games to 1
- The World Wide Fund for Nature (WWF) started
- Ty Cobb, Ernest Hemingway & Gary Cooper die
- Barack Obama & George Clooney are born
- “Barbie” gets a boyfriend when the “Ken” doll is introduced
- Electric toothbrushes are introduced
- “Frito” corn chips appear
- Top Movies: West Side Story, The Hustler, Judgment at Nuremburg
- Top Songs: Moon River, Where the Boys Are, Will You Love Me Tomorrow, Blue Moon, The Lion Sleeps Tonight
- Top TV Shows: Bullwinkle, Walt Disney’s Wonderful World of Color, Hazel, Dick Van Dyke Show, Top Cat
- Top Books: Stranger in a Strange Land, Robert Heinlein; Catch-22, Joseph Heller; The Carpetbaggers, Harold Robbins; The Making of the President: 1960, Theodore White; The Agony and the Ecstasy, Irving Stone; The Winter of Our Discontent, John Steinbeck
- Cost of a New Home: $17,200
- Cost of a First-Class Stamp: .04¢
- Cost of a Gallon of Regular Gas: .31¢
- Cost of a Dozen Eggs: .57¢
- Cost of a Gallon of Milk: .49¢