As you spend time with older loved ones this holiday season it can be eye-opening to see how much they’ve changed since your last visit. You may notice they’re having more difficulty keeping up their home and yard or handling tasks like shopping, laundry and bill paying. These are clues that it’s time to plan for the next step.
Honoring their right to direct their future, talk with your loved ones about what they need to ease their burdens and feel safer and more secure. Would in-home assistance, such as someone helping with meals and cleaning, make life easier? Would having someone nearby to call in case of an emergency relieve any worries for them or for you?
As you discuss which gaps to fill, focus on ways that supportive services may enhance their world rather than limit it. Maybe they’ll have more time for a favorite hobby, or they’ll feel relieved not having to maintain the yard.
As you and your loved ones get comfortable with the idea of asking for help, the next step may be considering a move where services are more readily available and more affordable. Luther Manor provides independent living in Wauwatosa, Wisconsin, that offers the option of what are called supportive services. Residents continue to live independently in their apartments while personal assistants and caregivers help with housekeeping, laundry and meals, plus manage medications and more. Your loved ones can choose to use these flexible, affordable services for a couple of weeks, a few months or on a continuous basis.
If your loved ones needs more care and assistance, Luther Manor also offers assisted living in Wauwatosa and Mequon. Highly trained nurses and caregivers help residents with activities of daily living, including bathing, dressing and managing medications, all in the privacy and comfort of a studio apartment or suite. With prepared meals, housekeeping and medical monitoring, you can be sure your loved ones are well-cared for.
5 Benefits of Assisted Living at Luther Manor
1. Assisted living makes your loved ones’ lives easier and provides consistency. For older adults, handling certain tasks can be difficult and stressful. Having a familiar routine where everything is taken care of can be comforting.
2. Your loved ones can enjoy the company of others who share their interests and are going through a similar experience. Older adults struggling with health issues sometimes end up becoming isolated at home. At Luther Manor, your loved one will have the support of friends and neighbors who care, plus access to an array of social, recreational and life enrichment opportunities.
3. Specialized, trained support is available 24/7. It seems like emergencies always happen at night, during the weekend or on a holiday. With assisted living at Luther Manor, your loved ones always have someone available to help — whenever they need it.
4. You can feel good knowing your loved ones are safe, secure and well taken care of every day. As one of the biggest benefits of assisted living, your peace of mind deserves to be called out separately. Regardless of how much you want to, you can’t be the answer for your loved ones’ care. You need space for your own life. You need time for work and errands and to accomplish your personal goals.
5. Making the transition now might be easier than in the future. Moving to Luther Manor sooner rather than later gives your loved one more options. For example, they may want to start out living independently and add a few supportive services later. If their health or needs change substantially, they’ll have the option to transition to an assisted living residence right here on campus. Most importantly, moving sooner gives them time to learn the community, make friends and feel more in control.
Is your family prepared for what’s to come?
Although your loved ones may not be ready for a transition, it’s time to think about their future. Do your loved ones have what they need to age in place well? Are they prepared for the more worrisome what-ifs? As you think about the options, we’re here to support you, your loved ones and your family in the journey.
We offer a variety of resources to help you navigate the process, including our MoneyGauge Tool that shows you the types of residential options available at Luther Manor and which ones would be a good financial fit for your loved one.
We know you have lots of questions. We’re here to help. To schedule a visit and get answers, call us today at (414) 464-3880 or send us a note through the form below.