What’s the Difference Between In-Home Care and Assisted Living?

What’s the Difference Between In-Home Care and Assisted Living?

When Mom needs help with one or more of the activities of daily living (ADLs) such as bathing, dressing herself, transferring (getting out of bed or a chair), using the toilet, eating, or walking, it’s time to consider how this help will be provided. Often, people turn to either an assisted living facility or an in-home care agency, depending on their loved one’s needs and preferences. The ways these options provide assistance and support differ but have the same end goal in mind: to provide the best possible individualized services to your loved one so she can stay as independent as possible for as long as possible. By now you’re asking yourself, “What’s the difference between in-home care and assisted living?”

Let’s break it down:

What is In-Home Care?

In-home care is also known as homecare, home health care, in-home health care, personal care, custodial care, companion or private duty. There are several different options for delivery, including full-service non-medical agencies, registry or staffing agencies, and private hire of independent freelance caregivers. Each of these options has a different level of licensing, abilities, and staffing availability.

In-home care providers generally administer non-medical services including:

  • Personal care services (help with the ADLs mentioned above)
  • Meal preparation
  • Medication reminders
  • Companionship and supervision
  • Light housekeeping
  • Errands and shopping transportation
  • Laundry

These agencies typically charge by the hour and require a minimum number of hours of care per day or week.

If you have more questions, take a look at InHomeCare.com. They have a lot of information about in-home care advantages and limitations.

What is Assisted Living?

Typically when someone refers to assisted living, they are talking about a Community Based Residential Facility (CBRF). Another type of assisted living is known as a Residential Care Apartment Complex (RCAC). To have a CBRF or RCAC license, an organization must comply with strict local, state, and federal regulations.

For this blog post, we’ll focus on what the services of a CBRF are, but head on over to our Supportive Living page if you’re interested in learning more about RCAC services.

A CBRF offers:

  • 24-hour onsite staff
  • Personal care services (help with the ADLs mentioned above)
  • 3 meals a day
  • Medication management or reminders
  • Social services
  • Life Enrichment activities and programs
  • Housekeeping
  • Transportation arrangements
  • Laundry
  • Maintenance

Services are individualized for each resident’s needs to help ensure their well-being and satisfaction. The National Center for Assisted Living has some great resources for those researching assisted living communities.

Luther Manor offers CBRF and RCAC services on our Wauwatosa campus. Our Mequon assisted living location, Luther Manor at River Oaks, is a CBRF. Visit our Assisted Living page to learn more.

Is Assisted Living or In-Home Care Right for My Mom?

Determining which of these options works best for your loved one depends on factors such as cost, personal preferences, availability of family to provide care, and availability in your geographic area. Make sure to weigh your options carefully – interview the agencies and tour the communities you’re considering. Only after scrutinizing the differences between assisted living and in-home care can you and your loved one make the decision that’s right for your situation.

We invite you to schedule a tour of a Luther Manor assisted living community today!